Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Specialist (Hybrid remote)
City of Kawartha Lakes
- Posted on: January 22, 2023
- Full Time
- Kawartha Lakes, ON
- Visit Company Website
Administers the integral data analysis and support functions of the City’s geographic information systems.
Wage $32.73 – $36.00 per hour (2023)
Reports to Supervisor, Mapping & GIS
Department Corporate Services – Information Technology
Hours Normal Working Hours are 35-hours per week
Working Conditions Ability to exert up to 4.4 kg (10 lbs) of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time (See Physical Demands Analysis for further information). The working conditions are not intended to supersede any CA language but to provide some descriptors of the essential working conditions.
Other General office environment, with travel throughout the City of Kawartha Lakes in accordance with job requirements.
The City of Kawartha Lakes invites applicants to join our team as a GIS Specialist!
When you come to work for the City of Kawartha Lakes, you are joining a community of municipal workers who take pride in knowing that every day they are having a positive impact in the community. Our mission is to deliver the highest standards of municipal services while creating a healthy and sustainable future for all Kawartha Lakes’ residents and businesses. We work to support our values of Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork and we want you to Jump In with us!
We are an equal opportunity employer which values equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace. We foster a safe and creative work environment, where training and skill development are prioritized, with opportunities and support for career advancement. As a team member at the City of Kawartha Lakes, you may be entitled to the following: Flexible work hours, remote and hybrid working arrangements, OMERS pension (defined benefit), employer paid benefits package including short and long term disability income replacement, education reimbursement, and other programs that foster innovation, leadership, and career advancement.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Mapping & GIS, this position is responsible for the administration and support of all aspects of the municipal Geographic Information Systems (GIS) including but not limited to maintenance, publishing and analysis of corporate and non-corporate GIS layers, the creation of GIS products including reports, maps, data, and interactive web applications, integrating with third party applications, working with and administering ArcGIS Enterprise including ArcGIS Server, Online and Portal. This position acts in a customer service role, providing support, trouble shooting, and performing needs analysis with client groups as required.
- Maintain geospatial datasets to ensure layers in the GIS databases and GIS web applications are up to date and revise processes, procedures and documentation as necessary
- Extract, transform, and load data from a variety of input sources or projection systems into methodical, well designed datasets
- Conduct geospatial analysis and geoprocessing manually, using Model Builder or FME, and programmatically using Python, to create reports, thematic maps, batch process data, automate repetitive tasks and to support decision making
- Liaise with GIS end users to gather application requirements, analyze current state, identify gaps and implement custom solutions; increasing productivity and usability
- Design interactive applications to make available on the corporate website: GIS data, tools, dashboards and maps.
- Monitor the GIS technology environment including all desktop GIS and GIS related software on Application/Database servers within the overall network infrastructure, Investigate and resolve GIS software and hardware problems in cooperation with Information Technology staff to identify and correct spatial data or application issues.
- Present status reports and demonstrations on GIS projects
- Keeps informed of GIS industry trends, advancements and changes and applies continuous learning to maintain skills
- Educate end users on programs and software upgrades
- Occasional travel to various work locations is required to fulfill the job duties of the position
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree in a Geomatics discipline or a related field
- Minimum 3 years related progressive experience, preferably in a municipal environment
- Solid working knowledge of spatial data models and relational database design
- Demonstrated technical and practical implementation and administration using the ESRI platform including ArcMap 10.x, ArcGIS Pro 2.x/3.x, ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, and/or ArcGIS Online
- Experience with Geocortex–VertiGIS (Formerly Latitude Geographics) considered an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency using ArcGIS Online and/or Portal to create interactive applications that enable viewing, editing and creating GIS data through web and mobile technologies.
- Experience writing standalone Python 3.x scripts specifically using the ArcPy library to interact with and geoprocess GIS data. Experience using python to automate tasks in Portal or ArcGIS Online considered an asset.
- Experience working with Safe Software including FME and FME Server considered an asset.
- Understanding of ESRI spatial database models including versioning, access control privileges, security and best practices
- Knowledge and experience in computer and network hardware, computer and network operating systems, specifically in a Windows/SQL Server environment and knowledge of SQL syntax
- Proven customer service competencies including strong interpersonal skills, ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships both within and outside the organization, ability to reason and troubleshoot, stress and conflict management skills
- Excellent communication both verbal and written including the ability to write clear, concise, detailed, process documentation, reports, written technical guides and other communications, uses active listening and questioning skills to fully understand concepts, issues and requests
- Ability to demonstrate initiative consistently with commitment to quality improvement, attention to detail, and sharing process improvement initiatives with management
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills including the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and work methodically and prioritize workload to meet multiple demands and deadlines effectively with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, treat sensitive situations with appropriate degree of tact and discretion
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and any other related software
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, a Criminal Record Check will be required.
Key Performance Competencies
Communication and Collaboration
Effective communication, cooperation, interpersonal relations/teamwork, supportive work environment, demonstrating support (compliance) of established polices /processes, ensuring confidentiality is maintained, in situations where it is expected and policy and procedure require it
Creativity and Innovation
Thinks beyond the confines of traditional models to recognize opportunities and find new and better ways of doing things, utilizing LEAN Sigma as appropriate
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Uses critical thinking to evaluate problems, gather information, understand causes, and identify best possible solutions. Invests time in planning, discover and reflection to drive better decisions and continuous improvement
Superior customer focused actions, both internal and external to the organization, demonstrating ethical, transparent behaviours, respect for others, listening to concerns and taking appropriate actions
Planning and Results Orientation
Invests time in upfront planning to achieve organizational goals and objectives while meeting quality standards, following the appropriate processes, and demonstrating continuous commitment and improvement