Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Transportation Planner (Junior Position)
WATT Consulting Group
- Posted on: January 23, 2023
- Full Time
- Victoria, BC
- Visit Company Website
WATT Consulting Group (WATT) is seeking an entry-level Transportation Planner to join our team in our growing Victoria office, supporting future-focused multi-modal transportation planning in not only our Vancouver Island-based practice but also projects across Western Canada.
We are looking for a dynamic individual committed to high-quality professional work, meeting the needs of our clients, and working with our multi-disciplinary team to create vibrant and livable communities.
About the Role
The Transportation Planner will be involved in a wide range of multi-modal transportation projects. The primary responsibility will be to lead and support transportation planning projects and technical studies from start to finish. The role will also involve providing planning expertise to other members of our integrated team in both advisory and support roles. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Apply technical planning expertise in the areas of active transportation, parking management, transit planning and scheduling, transportation demand management (TDM), future mobility (i.e., electric vehicles, electric bikes, micromobility, autonomous vehicles, etc.), community planning and urban design.
- Work on projects of all sizes in small, medium and large sized communities across Western Canada.
- Plan, support, and facilitate community engagement activities as part of our community planning projects, as well as attend client and Council meetings to present technical information in an accessible and clear manner.
- Supporting analysis and development of plans using a range of tools, including GIS, Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other graphic/visualization software.
- Lead or support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients.
- Support senior staff with pursuing business development opportunities with past, current and prospective clients.
- Work with and support other WATT team members by assisting other project managers, peer-reviewing the technical work, and mentoring / advising other junior staff.
- Prepare written documentation of project work in a clear and concise manner, including letters, memos, and reports. The ability to prepare graphics to supplement reports is an asset.
- Plan and manage data collection programs and undertake field work and surveys/counts as required to support projects.
- Short day trips within the Vancouver Island/Coastal BC and Metro Vancouver regions may be required. There may also be potential for travel to support projects within Western Canada.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Other duties as required.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Two (2) years of professional planning experience preferably focused in transportation planning. Consideration will be given to candidates with less experience or experience in a related field. Demonstrated experience in the areas of active transportation planning, transit, parking management, transportation demand management, community planning, community engagement, and/or urban design is an asset.
- Full Member or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP, RPP). Consideration may also be given to candidates with membership in related professions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
- Working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) software such as ArcGIS and QGIS as well as statistical packages is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of graphics creation software such as InDesign, Illustrator or SketchUp considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interest and passion in varied transportation subject matter.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills, particularly around managing multiple projects and contributing to multiple teams at any one time.
- As this position may assist with undertaking and managing transportation counts, ability to lift and carry traffic counting equipment (up to approximately 18kg / 40 lbs) is considered an asset, as well as work outside in all typical west coast weather conditions.
- A valid BC Drivers’ License is required for this position. Access to a personal vehicle to potentially support transportation surveys would be considered an asset.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, Edmonton, and Lloydminster. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our Victoria office is centrally located and easily accessed by walking, bike, transit or by car. Our building features bike storage rooms, showers, electric vehicle charging, daycare, coffee shop, and we provide a corporate Modo carshare membership for work trips.
Our office holds regular social events that bring together team members and their families.
Our individual offices have smaller dynamic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with approximately 30 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate. We offer a very flexible work environment where our staff work from home and the office. Professional development opportunities would be supported through this role, including attending and presenting conferences, taking courses / training, etc.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization, owned and led by employees, submit your resume to by clicking on the Apply Now button.