ESA Advanced Training: Earth Observation & AI for Forestry
The European Space Agency (ESA) is organising an Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing with the focus on Earth Observation and Artificial Intelligence for Forestry. This course is dedicated to training the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists and experts working in forestry domain to exploit data from EO missions (e.g. the Copernicus Sentinels) and use Artificial Intelligence (AI) for science and applications development. The course is part of ESA’s EO Science for Society – Scientific Exploitation element of EOEP-5 (the fifth cycle of ESA’s Earth Observation Envelope Programme).
The Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing – EO and AI for Forestry aims at:
- Training the next generation of scientists and professionals on remote sensing for land surfaces, with the focus on forestry
- Explaining the theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in forestry applications
- Introducing tool and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data, in particular the Sentinels
- Stimulating the exploitation of EO and AI in the domain of forestry
- Demonstrating cloud-based, large-scale processing (Forestry Thematic Application Platform)
The 5-day course will be held from 20 to 24 September 2021 as a hybrid event. If allowed to travel, lecturers and participants will be encouraged to attend the course at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Participants who cannot travel, due to the Covid regulations, can attend online. Post graduate, PhD students, post-doctoral research scientists and professionals from European countries and Canada interested in the applications of Earth Observation and Artificial Intelligence for Forestry are welcome to apply for the course. Research scientists, students, EO and AI professionals from all other countries are also welcome to apply, subject to availability of space.