Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Assessment Assistant, Technical Standards & Policy – GIS Summer Student
- Posted on: January 10, 2021
- Regina, SK
- Visit Company Website
The successful candidate will join SAMA’s Technical Standards & Policy Division in this full-time, summer term position. Working with the Agriculture Coordinator, the incumbent’s primary duties will include:
- Assisting in GIS work related to the valuation of agricultural land.
- Assisting Technical Standards & Policy Division staff and Agrologists with technical support in the use of GIS applications.
- Utilizing GIS software and the Agency’s computer database system as required to assist in the valuation of agricultural land.
- Provide support and assistance to Technical Standards & Policy Division staff and Agrologists in the use of GIS related software including:
- Digitizing soil polygons Editing/cleaning GIS layers
- Merging working layers into base layer
- GIS mapping using remote sensing
- Printing maps
- Setting up GIS working layers for Agrologists
- Publishing GIS layers to the server
- Assisting in providing technical support in the use of GIS software
- Other GIS related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS) is an asset
- Good communication and public relations skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft software such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to learn and work independently or with limited supervision
- Good problem-solving and time management skills
Required Professional Designations/Certification:
- Technical diploma in Geomatic/GIS or courses in GIS. Related education, training and experience may be considered. Courses must continue in Fall 2021.
- A valid class 5 driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract is required.
Employment with the Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal record check.