Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: February 8, 2019
- Full Time
- Portage la Prairie MB
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be established to fill similar regular or term positions throughout the Province and will remain in effect for up to 12 months.
The Department of Municipal Relations is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the Community Planner (LP2) position in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s license
- Must be able to travel to early morning and evening meetings throughout the Province as required
- Bachelors or Masters degree in planning or a combination of a related degree with planning experience which would allow for eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)
- Broad knowledge or exposure to planning theory, provincial and municipal planning, legislation, regulations, and programs
- Experience in land use planning, such as, review of development plans, zoning by-laws, and processing of subdivision applications
- Experience working with maps and plans, including a sound understanding of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and its application in the field of planning
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) or similar software applications
- Strong decision making and analytical skills
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare reports, briefing notes and memos on complex planning issues and recommendations in a clear and professional manner
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate ideas and information to a variety of audiences
- Experience working with private and confidential information
- Strong interpersonal skills that facilitate effective working relationships with office colleagues, other departments and clients
- Well-developed organization skills including the ability to complete assignments thoroughly, accurately, and in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently and display initiative
- Strong problem solving skills that enable resolution of issues through negotiation, consultation, and collaboration
- Awareness and understanding of current planning and development issues in Manitoba communities
The Community Planner (LP2) assists senior staff in the provision of professional services in the areas of community planning, land use and community development to support sound local decision-making by municipalities, planning districts, and land owners. The LP2 also provides technical and professional planning services to municipalities, planning districts, provincial departments and the public and undertakes planning projects, studies and by-laws under the guidance of senior staff. This position also prepares reports and advises on the subdivision approval process, as well as on road opening/closure and public reserve closures under the Municipal Act.
Advertisement # 34778
JOW-935-155 Carlton Street
Human Resource Services
935-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8