Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Director Business Development – Earth Observation Systems
Maxar Technologies Ltd
- Posted on: October 6, 2018
- Vancouver, BC
- Visit Company Website
Maxar Technologies Ltd. (formerly MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.) is a leading global provider of advanced space technology solutions for commercial and government markets including satellites, Earth imagery, geospatial data and analytics. As a trusted partner, Maxar Technologies provides unmatched end-to-end advanced systems capabilities and integrated solutions expertise to help our customers anticipate and address their most complex mission critical challenges with confidence. With more than 6,500 employees in 21 locations, the Maxar Technologies portfolio of commercial space brands includes SSL, MDA, DigitalGlobe and Radiant Solutions. Every day, millions of people rely on Maxar Technologies to communicate, share information and data, and deliver insights that empower a better world. Maxar trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange as MAXR.
MDA is a business unit of Maxar Technologies (TSX: MAXR NYSE: MAXR).
MDA is an internationally recognized leader in space robotics, satellite antennas and subsystems, surveillance and intelligence systems, defense and maritime systems, and geospatial radar imagery. MDA’s extensive space expertise and heritage translates into mission-critical defence and commercial applications that include multi-platform command, control and surveillance systems, aeronautical information systems, land administration systems and terrestrial robotics. MDA is also a leading supplier of actionable mission-critical information and insights derived from multiple data sources, both owned and operated within the Maxar group and by customer and third party sources. Founded in 1969, MDA is recognized as one of Canada’s most successful technology ventures with locations in Richmond, Ottawa, Brampton, Montreal and Halifax.
The business development team in the Earth Observation (EO) Systems line of business is responsible for the strategic and tactical pursuit of new contracts. The team works with MDA’s international sales force and our world-leading engineering and program management teams to develop creative solutions to customer problems and drive the growth of our business. As the number of earth imaging missions grows rapidly, so does the need for cost-effective, highly-reliable ground system solutions. MDA is at the forefront of this market and has the end user and mission operator relationships critical to continued success.
The EO Systems line of business is seeking a Director, Business Development for the Richmond office to lead a variety of business development initiatives in the EO Systems product niche, with a focus on defence and security applications. This is a customer-facing leadership position with strong potential for growth and advancement in an important part of MDA’s business.
The Director, Business Development is responsible for all strategy, capture and proposal activities prior to contract award including:
- Analyzing and understanding the customer’s needs (technical, programmatic, commercial)
- Understanding market and competitive forces relevant to the pursuit
- Coordinating the pursuit team responsible for identifying creative solutions to customer problems
- Developing and executing the pursuit plan to close a new contract, including owning the vision for how MDA will win
The Director, Business Development will be expected to develop new opportunities in both international and domestic markets, working both externally with Customers, partners and subcontractors, and internally with multiple teams and senior management as required to succeed in booking new business. In addition to managing pursuits, the Director, Business Development will also be responsible for negotiating contracts and defining and executing various long-term strategic initiatives that are fundamental to the growth of MDA’s EO Systems business.
- Knowledge and work experience within the earth observation industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to analyze information and provide solutions to diverse problems
- At least ten years of engineering, program management, and/or business development experience ideally with high technology organizations.
- Reputation as a winner – demonstrated expertise and success in leading pursuits and proposals
- Experience with different procurement processes
- Demonstrated ability to influence and negotiate.
- Demonstrated broad, complex strategic thinking capability
- Proven ability to assess competition and other critical factors affecting a pursuit.
- Experience writing proposals for systems projects
- Demonstrated ability to be customer focused
- Military service experience, ideally related to ISR
- Experience and familiarity with satellite/aerial remote sensing systems and
- associated ground segments
- Experience and familiarity with satellite data applications
- Understanding of financial business models
The candidate must have Canadian Secret clearance or the ability to obtain Canadian Secret clearance.
International travel to meet existing and prospective customers to understand their remote sensing requirements and to promote our offerings will be required.