Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Environmental Scientist Student
- Posted on: October 11, 2021
- Saskatoon, SK
- Visit Company Website
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
As an Environmental Scientist Student, you will work with close guidance and supervision on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer in our Site Investigation and Remediation Practice area. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification of engineering principles to select the best plan involving the collaboration with multiple stakeholders and expertise within the company. You will assist in verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Works with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer
- Perform field work as directed including supporting and conducting site assessments (Phase I ESA, Phase II ESA)
- Support remediation projects (including both in-situ and ex-situ remediation programs
- Support Emergency Spill Response Projects and support Environmental Management Team with tasks including environmental monitoring on projects
- Conduct both groundwater and surface water sampling along with drilling programs, soil logging and sampling
- Assists with basic engineering duties on projects of various complexity
- Assist with onsite construction observation, contractor coordination, and daily inspection reports
- Able to liaise between clients, contractors, municipal officials and third parties on-site
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required)
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering or soil sciences document production
- General knowledge of sampling techniques (Soil, groundwater, surface water), as well as testing/sampling protocols
- Knowledge of technical specifications, GIS mapping and analysis
- Strong documentation, note-taking skills, attention to detail and asset
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Ability to take initiative and direct sub-contractors, drive investigations and remediation programs
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person, with clients, employees and visitors
Education and Experience
Enrolled in a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) program in Environmental Science, Water Resources, Geology, Hydrogeology or Engineering program. Valid Driver’s license and vehicle required. Preference for a student who has had a prior internship or co-op term.
Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon
Job : Co-op/Summer/Intern Student (Co-op/Summer Use Only)
Organization : BC-1114 Environmental Services-CA Prairies & Territories
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Part-time
Job Posting : Oct 8, 2021, 2:23:01 PM