Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Field GIS and Survey Technician
Surerus Murphy Joint Venture
- Posted on: November 20, 2020
- Kamloops, BC
- Visit Company Website
The Field GIS and Survey Technician are responsible for data collection in the field and GIS, cartography, database management, and spatial analysis.
- Access Clearing Grade Reclamation (ACGR) Development including field recon.
- Provide field survey support for recording field features such as Heavywall Pipe and Bore positions, Hydrovac details, etc.
- Provide simple CAD support for projects including converting GIS to CAD data.
- Develop and undertake an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle survey works to provide high-resolution imagery and topographical data packages for current and upcoming projects.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access to geographic data.
- Assist with data gathering and compilation, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), GPS, mapping, and data analysis.
- Perform varied data gathering and entry to create, maintain, display, and update GIS databases, coverages, and linkages to various GIS databases.
- Manage geotagged photos to record records of conditions.
- Produce accurate maps and other representations of data for public use and fieldwork activity.
- Go out in the field to visually locate items to resolve conflicting information and ensure the accuracy of data.
- Record and document details of map updates, additions, and/or deletions.
Note: In addition to these duties personnel is required to carry out such other duties as may be reasonably required in order to support the objectives of the company.
- 2-year diploma in geomatics engineering technology or a related field.
- 2 – 4 years of experience in a similar role.
- Must include field experience, preferably on large scale industrial construct sites.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong GIS skills with two or more GIS packages (AutoCAD / ARCGis).
- Understanding of math and statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of cartography and geography.
- Basic understanding of the concepts behind data management in a relational database.
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This position is field-based and often works within remote project locations.