Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Forestry Summer Student
Western Forest Products Inc. (WFP)
- Posted on: October 3, 2020
- Campbell River, BC
- Visit Company Website
Western Forest Products Inc. (WFP) is a Canadian integrated forest products company and the largest crown timber tenure holder in coastal BC. Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. We are independently certified to internationally recognized certification. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper.
We are seeking to hire approximately 10 summer students for the 2021 field season. Terms range from 4 to 8 to 12 months at either one of our 5 Timberlands Operations, our Timberlands Administration Office or Saanich Forestry Center located on beautiful Vancouver Island, B.C.
Successful candidates will work alongside our forest professionals gaining valuable training and experience primarily in our operational engineering or silviculture teams. This year we are also adding exciting new opportunities to work as a tree nursery technician, GIS Technician, in our Forest Stewardship and Wildlife department or supporting our Environmental Department.
Upon graduation, a number of our former summer students have been offered full-time positions with WFP. We employ more than one hundred licensed forest professionals and biologists, across a broad spectrum of professional forestry and environmental practices, including: reforestation, wildfire prevention and management, pest protection, habitat supply management, forest inventory, road and harvest design, watershed protection, environmental management and permitting/compliance. Our professionals, who are from a diverse range of practices and backgrounds, help guide our forest planning and practices, and environmental management.
Our ideal candidates are:
- Enrolled in a forestry, GIS or environmentally related post-secondary program;
- Motivated, dependable, possess a strong work ethic, have a great attitude and thrive in a team environment;
- Have a valid class 5 driver’s license;
- In good physical condition and enjoys the challenging working environment in our coastal forests;
- Interested in pursuing a career in the forest industry.
How to Apply:
We would like to get to know you. Your application package should include your resume and cover letter addressing:
- The year of education you will have completed by May 2021;
- Whether you have a preference to work in engineering, silviculture, tree nursery, GIS or Forest Stewardship and Wildlife;
- Why you want to work for us; and,
- Indicate your career aspirations and how we will benefit from hiring you.