Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst
- Posted on: January 30, 2020
Local Unit & Position Description
Are you well versed in geographic information system software? Are you interested in the impact renewable energy will have on the world? Then this opportunity might be right for you.
DNV GL – Energy Advisory is seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst to join our mutlidiscipline Environmental and Permitting Services (EPS) team. The GIS Analyst will contribute to the company’s studies, reports, and tools through well thought-out mapping products as well as assist with gathering environmental data. This position is based at our office in Montreal, QC.
Tasks May Include
- Research, inventory, analyse, and integrate GIS data
- Undertake multi-criteria spatial analysis
- Produce thematic maps
- Assist with renewable energy project site selection and characterisation studies
- Prepare elevation and roughness maps for wind resource assessments
- Assist with the development of new geospatial tools and GIS services to support renewable energy developers
- Occasional assistance with development of tools to support work automation (ArcPy)
- Occasional assistance with research and reporting for environmental mandates, such as environmental impact studies, Phase 1 ESAs, and technical siting studies including visual assessments, shadow flicker assessments, acoustic assessments, and electromagnetic interference studies
- Occasional site visits
- Associate’s degree in Geomatics Engineering, Geomatics Sciences, Geographic Information Systems, Environmental Geomatics, Environmental Science, Geography, or Geospatial Science required
- Bachelor’s degree in above concentration preferred
- 1 year of GIS work experience preferred
- Knowledge of basic GIS concepts (mapping, GPS, GIS, data integration, coordinate systems, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of the ESRI platform, mainly ArcGIS Desktop (ideally ArcGIS Pro), and ArcGIS Online
- Competency in general programming, specifically Python language, preferred
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time domestically to project sites and internal meetings
- General knowledge and interest in renewable energy and environmental assessment regulatory frameworks in North America
- General knowledge and interest in renewable energy project development, design, and construction activities
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment background and drug screening
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!