Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Geomatics Pipeline Technologist
- Posted on: September 10, 2018
- Grande Prairie, AB
- Visit Company Website
n Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada’s most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights’ Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada’s Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today – we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP Geomatics division has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, motivated, and dedicated individual who can think on their feet. We are looking for a Pipeline Technologist who wants to be responsible for the production of various types of survey plans.
The primary purpose of the Pipeline Technologist is to assist with the delivery of project data according to the instruction provided by the client, Project Manager, and Field Supervisor. As a Pipeline Technologist the expectation is to be able to complete projects under daily supervision.
Pipeline Technologist is a position that has significant impact with external clients and internal team members, and therefore must relate to and live out the WSP Vision, Mission and Values and Quality Management System through actions and results.
- Provides field and office support on major Pipelines projects. Required to perform Data Processing, GIS, Digital Mapping, Surveying, GPS, CAD, MicroSurvey, Excel and Civil 3D Design work.
- Reviews and marks up pipeline construction drawings, alignment sheets, facility drawings, including base maps, crossings, ownership sketches, spreadsheets and access maps.
- Able to work with Survey Field Supervisors and establish priorities and complete work duties with limited supervision.
- Prepares and edits plans/maps in AutoCAD/ArcGIS software.
- Able to provide processing support for Leica and Trimble products.
- Delivers project tracking, status and forecasting reports on time.
- Updates project crossings lists daily.
- Creates sketch plans to support construction activities.
- Updates pipe log daily during pipe data collecting and verification stages.
- Compiles, process and quality checks for field data.
- Supports field crews with stakeout files and other data requirements.
- Use standard survey practices to efficiently draft accurate survey plans from information gathered in the field and office
- Draft/check plans using the standards set out by WSP
- Maintain familiarity with current techniques and developments
- Ensure that the quality and accuracy of all plans for which you have responsibility meet WSP standards before they are sent in for checking
- Ensure the corporate safety program is followed.
- Support QMS through the use and practice of the QMS policies, procedures, forms and best practices.
- Ensures that corporate objectives are adhered to WSP Vision, Mission and Values.
- Geomatics Engineering Technologist certificate or other relevant technical training
- Mapping and GIS major preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of CAD and GIS experience
- Big Inch Pipeline construction project experience
- Big Inch Pipeline construction project experience (REMOVE)
- Proficient in Alberta and British Columbia Land Survey Systems (ADD)
- Self-motivated with excellent communication (oral and written) and time management skills.
- Knowledge of surveying, drafting, global navigation satellite systems, spatial databases, map projections, civil 3D design, control surveys, MicroSurvey, web programming, digital mapping, digital cartography, terrain modeling, ArcGIS, Word, Excel, FME, Imagery, LIDAR, WEB-MAPPING and technical communications.
- Competent working knowledge of current AutoCAD software; knowledge of Micorsurvey/Microstation, Trimble (TBC) & Leica Software, and CAD programming is a definite asset.
- Competent working knowledge of ArcMap and ESRI tools and able to deal with variety of GIS data formats; i.e. DEM, LiDAR dataset, imagery.
- Ability and willingness to travel for client, project and WSP requirements.
- Willingness to work in remote locations based on project and client needs.
- Experience in interacting and communicating effectively with field crews and Client Liaison.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.