Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: May 16, 2019
- Mississauga, Ontario
- Visit Company Website
Create, manage, maintain, update and post core GIS products and data for Corporate and external use. Analyze, interpret, evaluate and prioritize technical data from various sources in the creation and maintenance of GIS mapping, related manuals and database products. Provide technical advice, guidance and support to GIS & CADD technicians and GIS product clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the City Surveyor or a Geospatial Solutions Supervisor, the successful candidate will:
Performs all aspects of GIS/CAD activities associated with collecting / creating, managing, mapping, editing and analyzing spatial cadastral data.
- Co-ordinate and maintain all facets of the City survey plans, related bylaws, One Foot reserve applications, development applications and cadastral research needed for engineering and survey applications.
- Primarily responsible for the reduction of survey field measurements and the preliminary production of survey plans and other CAD products.
- Contribute to the development of fundamental GIS data sets and to be the primary contact with external data providers for service requests relating to property ownership, easements and original field notes.
- Maintain various indices related to cadastral records.
- Identifies and Performs quality assurance and control on GIS data and applications.
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Ensures the technical development, access, deployment, programming, monitoring, and administrative support for the GIS and related applications.
- Undertakes Survey/CAD & GIS application development using appropriate programming language(s), with corresponding comprehensive application documentation.
- Identifies when existing practices in business and operational processes in the corporation are no longer sufficient or productive and offers creative solutions, based on statistical analyses and evaluations.
- Undertakes geospatial analysis in support of City initiatives and corporate business intelligence.
- Other duties as assigned.
3. Acts as a project leader and Subject Matter Expert. Provides direction and guidance on the use of GIS/CAD applications and analyses for process improvements, decision support, usability and accessibility.
- Liaise with other sections, departments and the public to provide or collect information. Most notably these include searching at the Regional Land Registry Office, and the private Ontario Land Surveying Community.
- Identifies user requirements, conducts analyses and develops designs based on needs assessments and the specifications defined in conjunction with the end user.
- Provides timely communication and act as the ongoing liaison with clients.
- Coordinates third party activities, ensuring standards, policies and procedures are followed, monitoring compliance with requirements set out under the contract, maintaining records and providing reports on progress and issues.
- Investigates business problems, analyzing optional solutions and creating recommendations.
4. Assists in the preparation of presentation and technical materials for public / internal meetings, training, conferences, and RFP’s.
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree and a Certificate or Diploma in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or related discipline supplemented by a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise in development and understanding of field notes, survey plans, related bylaws, One Foot reserve applications, development applications, easements and cadastral research needed for engineering and survey applications.
- Understanding of Land Registry Office systems to perform Title Searches.
- From Field to Office must have proven abilities with Trimble software and Microstation V8 to create Cadastral products.
- Skilled in GIS map production, working with geoprocessing models, topology, spatial analysis, spatial database design, spatial database standards, systems integration and associated software, specifically ESRI & Microsoft products.
- Strong understanding of relational databases, geodatabase development and creating linkages to other systems.
- Strong knowledge and experience of municipal government operations and practices.
- Ability to provide Survey/ CAD and GIS consultation and advice at a professional level
- Experience translating client requirements into GIS reports and maps taking into account the audience and the nature of the information.
- Expert knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS 10.x and Microstation V8.
- Preferred OACETT designation as C.E.T. or GISP
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 79,251.00 – $ 105,669.00
Hours of Work: 35 Hours
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/IT Division , Digital Services & Mobility
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
← Back to Job List