Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Co-op Student
- Posted on: October 10, 2020
- Trail, BC
- Visit Company Website
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
This is a 4-month term starting in January 2021.
We’re looking for people who believe in integrity, teamwork, and accountability, that have the ability to apply their skills and knowledge to work situations, and are exploring the idea of a career in the Electrical Utility industry
- Work alongside an experienced Data Integrity Coordinator and assist with creating and updating asset data in FortisBC’s GIS system.
- Spatially adjust facilities data to landbase for a targeted pilot area.
- Gain experience of how a utility company works and depends on GIS for its business processes.
- Become familiar with ArcGIS, ArcFM and other GIS applications at FortisBC.
- Become familiar with the Transmission and Distribution Electrical system within FortisBC’s service area.
- Qualified applicants must have graduated high school and be entering or returning to a post-secondary technology institution with the following:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Student – Second year or third year preferred
- Valid driver’s license and current abstract
- Competent public speaker
- Experience with or knowledge of ArcGIS and competence in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- General clerical skills including typing, drafting letters and memos
- Team player
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail
- Basic computer knowledge
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of power distribution systems and construction standards.
- Experience in an electrical utility environment an asset.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. Depending on the responsibilities of the job, some employees continue to report to the office while others work remotely. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.← Back to Job List