Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: June 25, 2020
- Surrey, British Columbia
Employment Status: Co-op Student
Temp Duration: 4 months
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
This is a 4-month term starting in September 2020.
Working with our GIS department, the GIS Co-op Student will work alongside GIS Technologists to assist with creating and updating data in the FortisBC Gas Utility GIS system.
- Spatially adjust facilities data to landbase for a targeted areas.
- Gain experience of how a utility company works and depends on GIS for its business processes.
- Become familiar with GE Smallworld, ArcGIS and other GIS applications at FortisBC.
- Become familiar with the Transmission and Distribution systems within FortisBC’s service area.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Student – Second year or third year preferred
- Valid driver’s license and current abstract
- Competent public speaker
- Experience with or knowledge of Smallworld/ArcGIS and competence in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- General clerical skills including typing, drafting letters and memos
- Team player
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail
- Basic computer knowledge
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of gas distribution systems and construction standards.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
The safety of our customers and FortisBC family members is our number one priority. Depending on the responsibilities of the job, some employees continue to report to the office while others work remotely. To ensure the safety of our employees on our job sites, there is strict adherence to our worksite safety plans and social distancing practices. As an essential service provider, we’ll continue to follow the government COVID-19 guidelines and adjust our plans as necessary. As we welcome new employees, our commitment to safety remains for all of our FortisBC family.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.