Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Data Technician
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Posted on: July 30, 2020
- Kirkland Lake, Ontario
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a GIS Data Technician, you will:
• update and maintain natural resource GIS and database records
• providing district GIS products and services, consistent with regional and provincial standards, in order to support ministry projects
• liaise with regional GIS staff to ensure district requirements and priorities are clearly conveyed to regional staff
• provide project management for field and office data collection projects
• provide input into the development of standards for data transfer, compatibility, valuation, maintenance and quality control, and assistance to staff in the use and maintenance of hardware, software and peripheral equipment
• coordinate the development and administration of resource management information agreements and copyright license agreements
How do I qualify?
• You must possess a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license or equivalent as recognized in the Province of Ontario.
• You possess working knowledge and demonstrated experience using GIS applications/software, development of specialized map and information products, and providing support to GIS users.
• You are knowledgeable of and possess the ability to apply and interpret ministry resource management programs, policies, procedures and guidelines.
• You have demonstrated experience with maintaining database records, manipulating, analyzing and managing tabular and spatial data.
• You have knowledge of and experience with computer hardware, software and networking systems, trouble-shooting and managing GIS software and databases.
Data Management and Support Skills
• You possess experience supporting programs, projects and field surveys, recommending data management practices and equipment, collecting, downloading, correcting, assembling, analyzing and storing data according to prescribed standards.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
• You have well-developed communication skills including experience preparing reports, technical instructions and data share agreements
• You possess interpersonal skills to conduct training and provide individual support to users.
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 5520 Hwy 101 E, South Porcupine, North Region or 145 Government Rd W, Kirkland Lake, North Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.