Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: November 22, 2022
- Full Time
- Visit Company Website
Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, advisors and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigor to shape a better world.
Our growing Advanced Digital Engineering (ADE) team in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is seeking to recruit a Geospatial Lead to join us. ADE is a global group of geospatial professionals, software developers, product managers, user experience designers and digital consultants within Arup. We use our collective talents to incubate and deliver technology-led solutions to clients, and in doing so help transform the way that cities, buildings and physical networks are planned and delivered.
The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of the challenges of GIS and data delivery, remote sensing, field data collection and reporting/analytics on projects of all scales, with particular importance on long-term sustainable transportation (i.e.: rail and public transit) projects.
The Toronto team is a member of the Americas digital portfolio network, and as such, regular collaboration with the greater regional team is part of this role. This will provide additional opportunities for the successful candidate to contribute to work on exciting projects and research across the Americas region.
Working as part of a rapidly growing team in Toronto with a vision to become a Geospatial Centre of Excellence, you will be leading and/or delivering technical GIS work related to environmental, planning and infrastructure aspects of local, national and international projects. You will work as part of a diverse, digitally minded team on projects of various types and scales, regularly cross-collaborating with other multi-disciplinary Arup teams to help shape a better world.
We are seeking an experienced Geospatial professional with broad experience across multiple markets to engage with a broad range of subject matter experts and clients; help design efficient and automated workflows; and fill a critical role on our team of digital practitioners. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, an excellent problem solver and a continual learner who is adept at identifying, evaluating and adapting new technologies and platforms. Ideally the candidate would also be adept at presenting and explaining /demystifying complex digital solutions to audiences with various levels of digital knowledge. This is a role for our North geographic region that includes Arup offices in Toronto and Montreal and will involve oversight of a small, but growing team of dedicated geospatial and digital practitioners.
- Collaborate and support the Digital Portfolio, service and discipline leadership team and skills networks on relationship building, identifying opportunities, supporting promotional activities, and connecting staff across other domains and markets.
- Coordinate and collaborate regularly with other geospatial leads in the Americas region to bring our clients the best digital solutions to our projects every day.
- Liaise with our global digital rail teams to identify applications and use cases within the rail market specifically and help promote these applications across rail projects in the North geography and the greater Americas Region.
- Assist with the management and coordination of project resourcing for geospatial tasks and ongoing support requirements of geospatial staff in the Americas North geography.
- Oversee geospatial staff and assist them with data management, visualizations, cartography, spatial analysis, automation/scripting of spatial tasks, web development, and many other GIS-linked technical tasks on rail and other projects
- Seek out and identify opportunities to leverage geospatial and related technologies to analyze datasets, produce visuals, and empower Arup and its clients make better decisions.
- Maintain an environment that promotes quality and excellence and supports all members in connecting with opportunities, supporting their professional development and in working towards their full potential.
- Provide supervision and mentorship to junior staff on the team / your projects
- Conduct technical reviews to ensure a consistent, high-level of quality on project deliverables
- Use task management tools and techniques to support and coordinate the completion of project tasks and their on-time delivery
- Assist project leadership in the identification and management of scope creep on projects
- Ensure timely and professional project correspondence and communications within project teams and between project members
- Technical memo / report writing, documentation, presentations, and client engagement with appropriate support from the team and project leadership
- Identify and connect geospatial staff with opportunities to support their professional development goals
- Master’s Degree or Advanced Certificate / Diploma in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, Software Development, Engineering, Information Technology or similar digital discipline.
- Eight to Ten (8-10) or more years’ experience in the practical application of GIS and geospatial technologies and methods in the built environment across multiple markets including transportation.
- Experience leading a small technical team of geospatial consultants, including responsibility for team busyness, quality in work delivery, and professional development.
- Experience in supporting the development of commercial proposals for geospatial consulting work.
- Experience in detailed user requirements gathering and translation / mapping of requirements to digital solutions development pathways and functionalities.
- Strong communications skills, including ability to write and present with consideration of the interests and technical competency of a specific audience.
- Enjoys working as part of and actively contributing to a positive, inclusive, and supportive team culture.
- Certified or experienced in Project Management or Agile project delivery fundamentals.
- Experience leading delivery of projects involving data management, data interoperability, data engineering, data science, automation, or software development.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a diverse portfolio of professional digital services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work. The following are some examples of how we are using digital to influence change to help shape a better world.
Read more about the work of Advanced Digital Engineering or our partner City Modeling Lab on Medium.
What We Offer
Benefits that Work – At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our RRSP plan with up to 9% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working – We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of minority, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or other status protected by law. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.← Back to Job List