Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS / Lidar Information Specialist
Resolute Forest Products
- Posted on: July 20, 2020
- Full Time
- Thunder Bay, Ontario
- Visit Company Website
We at Resolute are a diverse group of individuals who possess a wide variety of skills. Here, we believe that giving you the ability to maximize your potential without constraint is key to our shared success.
Our Thunder Bay location in Ontario, Canada is currently seeking talent to fill the position of GIS / Lidar Information Specialist. This job is permanent, full-time.
GIS / Lidar Information Specialist, Resolute Northwestern Ontario Woodlands Operations
Resolute Forest Products is seeking candidates for the position of Information Specialist for our Resolute Northwestern Ontario Woodlands Operations.
The Information Specialist reports to the Forestry Manager Ontario, and performs, coordinates and directs GIS programs and services to support information project implementation and operation, creating, testing and enhancing GIS / Lidar applications, developing and administering web-based GIS applications, preparing GIS / Lidar datasets, maps, database reports and specialized queries.
This position requires extensive knowledge and ability to perform a diverse array of complex GIS related work. This position requires an employee to be flexible, able to multitask, think intuitively, implore time management and project management skills, and possess troubleshooting ability. Position also serves in a supervisory role managing a team of GIS Specialists. Primary responsibility is the management and support of the GIS systems using ESRI products and be able to work with GIS data effectively.
- Studies, designs, develops and implements the GIS systems including LIDAR, database and programs.
- Provides technical support for users.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems; resolves problem or notifies vendor; prepares and maintains software documentation.
- Trains or arranges training for system users
- Works closely with end users to ensure data converted correctly and programs work as planned; provides technical support and guidance to users in the operation of the system.
- Trains users on new and existing GIS and ESRI products. Additional Job Duties
- Produces detailed maps on request from departments by extracting and manipulating data from the GIS database.
- Works with vendors on present and future GIS needs.
- Manages, edits, delivers, and supports main GIS, SDE, and SQL databases and related datasets, feature classes, and layers.
- Performs Geospatial Data Analysis and records requests against GIS databases.
- Prepares written documentation of all GIS systems, such as Standard Operating Procedures, and participates in cross-training/knowledge sharing with OP’s/GIS staff.
- Reporting to the Forestry Manager Ontario, you will be part of a results-oriented team whose members are encouraged to exceed expectations.
- Ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of proven provide forest management planning experience.
- A degree in Forestry with professional designation (or ability to achieve) or Forestry Technology with extensive GIS / Lidar applications experience.
Your assets and skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, to communicate with all levels of the organization, see the big picture and to adapt quickly to change
- Strong attention to details, analytical, organizational and problem solving skills.
- The ideal candidate will possess the drive and passion to continuously improve upon the health and safety, efficiency, production, and planning targets for Ontario Woodlands
- In-depth knowledge of MS Office and solid computer skills