Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Support Specialists
- Posted on: July 28, 2018
- Toronto, Ontario
- Visit Company Website
Avenza Systems Inc., producer of the award winning MAPublisher & Geographic Imager applications and the Avenza Maps app, requires tech savvy GIS Specialists to provide support and services to its customers.
Are you interested in learning and working with leading software development tools and methodologies, and see first hand how your work is helping people work and play? Avenza is redefining how customers create and interact with maps and is having a lot of fun in the process.
Openness, collaboration and innovation are the cornerstones to our culture. We also provide a clear and constant focus on our people, doing the right thing not just for the future success of the company but for their long term development as individuals. We are located in trendy mid-town Toronto, offer full benefits and a fun, exciting and flexible work environment!
- Investigate and resolve various software and data related problems in GIS, networking and general IT fields for customers
- Provide technical support for current and prospective clients employed in a variety of mapping / GIS companies, governments and educational institutions
- Assist developers and QA staff in tracking and maintaining current development issues / buglists
- Good understanding of general geography, GIS and mapping science foundations of geodesy and related concepts and terminology
- Applied knowledge of a variety of GIS applications such as ESRI ArcGIS, GlobalMapper, Safe FME Desktop, AutoCAD, MicroStation, etc.
- Genuine interest in troubleshooting and resolving complex cartographic, GIS and software-related issues
- Experience and proficiency working with, configuring and troubleshooting Windows or Mac operating systems (ideally both)
- A minimum of one year practical work experience in a mapping / GIS environment
- Completion of an accredited cartographic or GIS educational program or equivalent work experience
Additional Desirable Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- General IT (Windows / Mac / Unix / Linux) and TCP/IP networking skills
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite products, specifically Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with Avenza MAPublisher, Geographic Imager, the Avenza Maps app, Spatial Databases
- Familiarity with online data portals, WMS / WFS servers, online mapping (Google Maps, MapBox TileMill)
- Leadership and presentation skills
- Proficient in problem solving with strong analytical abilities
- Able to work with a team and independently with little guidance
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Innovative thinker
- Patience when dealing with customers
- Able to focus on a task until completed
- Reliable and well-organized
- Please apply via this website or by email (jobs AT avenza.com) only, citing GIS Specialist as the position and the reference #180425GIS