Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: November 4, 2018
- North Vancouver, BC
- Visit Company Website
Hatfield Consultants is recruiting a full-time geographic information systems (GIS) technician. The technician will play a key role in Hatfield’s Geomatics group in North Vancouver, which provides services to internal project teams and projects, in addition to providing geomatics services directly to a private and public sectors.
The primary role of the GIS technician will be to provide technical services including GIS data capture and management, geo-processing and spatial analysis, mapping, and working with AutoCAD drawings. Work with mobile data collection and WebGIS applications may be required. The GIS technician will report to the Geomatics Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate clearly with Hatfield’s environmental specialists regarding map and data analysis requirements.
- Produce high quality cartographic map products and CAD drawings using ArcMap and AutoCAD for fieldwork planning, reports, and presentations.
- Conduct data capture, conversion, and translation conforming to topology guidelines.
- Develop and maintain geodatabases and perform various data management duties such as data storage and cleanup.
- Develop mobile data collection forms for field programs using Hatfield’s systems.
- Perform satellite image archive searches and plan new satellite acquisitions requested by internal or external clients.
- Integrate various vector and raster data sets, including satellite imagery, from multiple sources for inclusion in map products.
- Produce WebGIS maps for projects using Hatfield’s systems.
- Comply with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Comply with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- At least one year of experience in ArcGIS v10, including extensions such as Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst.
- Experience in spatial data acquisition, manipulation and conversion.
- Knowledge of GIS data standards, projections and coordinate systems.
- Knowledge of federal, provincial and global GIS datasets and repositories.
- Experience developing GIS analysis tools using Python or other scripting language.
- Knowledge of spatial data management, including ESRI geo-databases and RDBMS.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- General computer skills (MS Office suite, etc.).
- Experience integrating GPS data and field sampling form data into GIS data formats for inclusion in map products.
- Experience with PCI Geomatics, Erdas Imagine, ENVI, or other remote sensing processing and analysis tools.
- Experience with AutoCAD Map3D, or other AutoCAD software.
- Experience with open source geospatial tools and applications, such as QGIS and Geoserver.
- Research and analytical skills (literature research, geomatics data acquisition, compilation, and analysis).
- Experience with analysis using R, or other statistical package.
- Experience with data visualization software tools, such as Crossview or Surfer.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.Sc. in geographical sciences, or related subject.
- GIS technical diploma or combination of experience/education.
- Work experience in an environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “GIS Technician – North Vancouver” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.← Back to Job List