Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Technician [Pinchin]
- Posted on: February 6, 2024
- Full Time
- Greater Sudbury, ON
- Visit Company Website
Pinchin is looking for an experienced GIS Technician to join the Central Graphics Team (CGT). Reporting to the Director of Northern ON EDR, the GIS Technician is responsible for leveraging geographic information systems (GIS) and computer-aided design (CAD) software systems for the preparation and timely delivery of quality maps, drawings, and figures to the project team.
The GIS Technician will be skilled in utilizing both Esri and Autodesk platforms, and must be capable of drafting clear, detailed, and complete maps and drawings. In addition, the ideal candidate should be able to use 3D CAD programs such as Civil 3D to create contours, cross sections, and profiles. The GIS Technician will engage collaboratively with the Integrated Digital Services (IDS) and the Central Graphics Team (the Group) to support the efficient delivery of figures, design new templates and procedures, as well as adopt and implement emerging interactive visualization technologies.
What You’ll Do at Pinchin:
- Draft clear, comprehensive, and complete drawings with accurate details that incorporate permitting ordinances, design inputs, sketches, and notes.
- Create new base maps and post existing system maps from available data and records.
- Assist with the preparation of GIS/CAD proposals and scope of work requests.
- Assist with the revision/acceptance of internal GIS/CAD work requests.
- Prepare, review, and cleanup geospatial data for accuracy, and perform quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) check on updated and new data, as well as compiled metadata.
- Create, translate, and integrate GIS data layers, and digitize new data using a variety of software.
- Coordinate with other technicians and analysts in various data development, update, and project support initiatives
- Provide technical expertise and support to groups, personnel, and users of GIS and CAD data.
- Complete special requests for various groups by utilizing existing data, analyzing results, producing 2D/3D drawings, models, maps, reports and supporting documentation.
- Perform cartographic production, data compilation/editing/creation, geodatabase design and creation, GIS analysis, geoprocessing, georeferencing, data conversion and metadata implementation as may be required.
- Edit, revise, update, and correct existing Esri digital datasets and maps. Maintain quality control by inspecting final compositions to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Create data & maps to publish to ArcGIS Portal/Server and/or ArcGIS Online for use in mobile- and internet-based GIS.
- Establish good rapport and build relationships with peers and clients by responding to requests and communicating information in a timely manner. Ensure a broad understanding of in-house departmental requirements and all internal reference materials.
- Provide technical guidance to other staff within scope of expertise on various projects and communicate directly with internal and/or external clients as needed.
- Stay abreast of activities affecting technology markets and industry. Participate in Esri and Autodesk webinars to increase awareness of emerging issues and technology.
- Perform other Branch duties as required.
What you bring to Pinchin team
- B.A. Sc., B.Sc., GISP, or related technical diploma with a minimum 8 years of experience.
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS Enterprise Platform (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE) and AutoCAD.
- Demonstrable experience in data integration, developing geodatabases and schemas, managing, and maintaining geospatial datasets.
- Knowledge of integrating GIS and CAD data is a must.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Products (Teams, Planner, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Prior experience in environmental science and/or geoscience projects a big plus.
- Knowledge of Civil 3D and/or Safe Software FME is nice to have.
- Experience programming using Python or R and applying complex SQL commands to a geodatabase is nice to have.
- Must be able to read, comprehend and prove all written reports and correspondence.
- Must have excellent verbal and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Current and valid driver’s license with sufficient insurance, and access to a vehicle
What Pinchin offers you
- A challenging and rewarding position with the opportunity to learn from, or mentor, other technical professionals.
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and Extended group benefits (we pay the premium) with no waiting period.
- Membership in our internal Communities of Practice, a national support network for technical problem solving and collaboration led by our top technical experts.
- Casual dress code.
- Profit share bonuses and an RRSP Matching Program.
- An environment that supports work-life harmonization.
- Various professional development and employee recognition programs.
- Educational and professional membership dues reimbursement.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program.
- Corporate Discount Program.
Check what Pinchin has to offer: www.pinchin.com/working-at-pinchin
Please note that our recruitment process may involve online testing depending on the position. As an employee of Pinchin, you will be required by our clients to undergo security clearances and, periodically, drug and alcohol testing in order to gain access to certain job sites. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Pinchin, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted.
**No Agency phone calls please**
At Pinchin, our employees are the heart of our business. If you’re ready to build your skills and develop your career, we have the resources and subject matter experts to support your journey. We provide a dynamic and forward-thinking culture that is based on honesty, integrity, and a passion for learning.
Pinchin Ltd. is a multidisciplinary consulting firm that provides a wide range of engineering, building sciences, geosciences, environmental, and occupational health and safety solutions across Canada and the US. We are committed to employment practices that promote a diverse and inclusive work environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please inform us.
Working together, making things better!← Back to Job List