Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Technician (Student)
Town of Newmarket
- Posted on: March 6, 2023
- New Market, ON
- Visit Company Website
Full Job Description
The Town of Newmarket is committed to taking every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of the health and safety of workers from the hazard of COVID-19. As a condition of being hired by the Town, employees including students and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine series, unless legally entitled to accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Reference Vaccination Policy.
Assists the GIS Section with receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user requests for mapping or data products or services. Uses Access IT Help Desk tools to record and monitor services requests. The GIS Technician (Student) role is to provide support to the GIS and Project Teams in the creation, collection, maintenance, manipulation and presentation of data. This includes digitizing, scanning, editing, planning and reviewing data and sources. The GIS Technician (Student) will also participate in Steering Committee meetings as required as well as provide back up support to the GIS Team when required.
- Business or vocational knowledge gained through Community College or University education specializing in GIS or equivalent, focusing on GIS use in Planning or Engineering programs is an asset.
- Working knowledge of GIS Software (Esri ArcGIS preferred).
- Working knowledge of ETL (FME Desktop preferred).
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems including Windows.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Prior experience demonstrating a higher level of multi-tasking.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience providing excellent customer service.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Class “G” driver’s license in good standing and a reliable vehicle to use while on corporate business an asset.