Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
GIS Technologists (2 Jobs)
- Posted on: November 8, 2018
- Vaughan, Ontario
- Visit Company Website
Reporting to Manager, Information Management Technology (IMT), the GIS Technologist is responsible for implementing all aspects of GIS projects, applications, services and training. This position manages, develops and collaborates on GIS projects. This individual assists the Manager, other GIS Technologists and all other staff within the business unit and the organization as well as externally to TRCA on all aspects of ITM projects that contribute to the TRCA’s strategic goals.
The GIS Technologist provides technical guidance and solutions for data collection, analysis, automation, modeling, visualization, reporting, hardware and software evaluation, budget estimates and administrative support to the Manager, Information Management Technology (IMT), other GIS Technologists and all other staff within the business unit and externally to TRCA for the purposes of IMT program and project implementation. In addition, the GIS Technologist acts as a contact for external agencies and partners for GIS collaborative projects and broader CA interests. This position requires the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum four (4) year University degree in Geography, Environmental Science, or related discipline.
- Minimum five (4) years of experience related to major tasks. Five (5) or more years of experience preferred.
- Expert knowledge of ESRI suite of GIS software including; ArcGIS 10x, ArcPro, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, ArcGIS On-line, Portal, Survey123, ArcCollector, Story Maps and geodatabases is a requirement of the successful candidate.
- Specialized software knowledge in; Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) such as MS Access, SQL server and/or SQL Spatial, ArcSDE, Microstation, AutoCAD, Avenza Maps is an asset of the successful candidate.
- Specialized technical knowledge in; LiDAR, WebApp development, Model Builder, Scripting (Python, GeoJSON), Global Positioning Systems (GPS), Environics, Drone to Map, Digital Orthophotography, 3D Terrain Modelling, Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry would be an asset of the successful candidate.
- Experience and knowledge in current and relevant industry tools, practices and trends such as metadata, data modelling, cartographic principles, infographics, charting, open data and technical documentation.
- Coordinate and promote the use of spatial data throughout the organization.
- Works in collaboration with all other business units and external partners to evaluate functional business requirements for data collection, data management, dissemination, modeling, analysis and reporting.
- Support and enforce current standard operating procedures.
- Document and advise on project scoping and work plans to ensure appropriate and timely deliverables are achieved.
- Develop and implement applications such as webmap and mobile solutions.
- Develop and implement appropriate analysis methodologies to generate accurate spatial statistics.
- Develop and implement appropriate data models to accurately and efficiently support the growth of the corporate spatial data warehouse.
- Develop and implement appropriate data acquisition/collection protocols, hardware and software tools to support field staff.
- Develop automated/semi-automated solutions where appropriate using industry standard tools.
- Develop and implement appropriate QA/QC procedures to ensure high quality data standards are met and reliable decision making is achieved for the organization and its partners.
- Develop and deliver training to staff in the business unit and throughout the organization.
- Document data analysis and/or collection methodologies.
- Document workflows to ensure clear expectations of project team members.
- Undertake research on industry trends, investigating new technologies and evaluating products and services to maintain and improve core business functions.
- Research and develop innovative reporting and communication tools.
- Produce high quality cartographic, infographic and charting tools.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.← Back to Job List