Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
- Posted on: May 8, 2019
- Expires on: May 25, 2019
- Full Time
- Visit Company Website
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a groundwater modeling team that has the environment down to a science.
As a Groundwater Modeler you will work with close guidance and supervision on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior groundwater modeler and specialist. You will participate in the evaluation of data, development, and execution of groundwater models, evaluation and presentation of modeling results, and reporting.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working under the direction of other groundwater modelers and engineering discipline leads on groundwater modeling work to support larger mining and/or flood protection projects.
- Performing field work as directed by experienced hydrogeologists and groundwater specialists.
- Assisting with basic environmental geoscientific or engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Performing other duties as assigned by team lead or project manager.
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required).
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong all-around academic knowledge of physical hydrogeology. Knowledge of geology is a definite asset.
- Experience with industry-standard numerical modeling packages (e.g. MODFLOW, FEFLOW).
- Experience with flow and transport in fractured sedimentary rock is preferred and coupling flow models with PEST is a definite asset.
- Experience with FEFLOW plug-Ins is an exceptional skill we are looking for.
- Strong computer skills including working with GIS-type software, digital databases, visualization software, etc. Programming experience using Python is an asset.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Some practical experience with physical hydrogeology including borehole logging, monitoring well installation, hydraulic conductivity testing, and pumping tests is an asset.
- Consulting industry experience is an asset.
- Excellent work ethic with strong organization and time management skills.
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to recognize when technical problems are developing and initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person.
Education and Experience
Post-Graduate degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in Hydrogeology, Geology, or Geological, Civil or Environmental Engineering or related discipline with a specialization in groundwater modeling through course work or undergraduate projects/thesis is preferred. Eligibility for professional registration in Manitoba (EIT/GIT) is required; Minimum of 5 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with high-performance computing machines for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Engineer – EIT
Primary Location: Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule: Full-time← Back to Job List