Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
junior/intermediate Scientific Programmer Job
ASL Environmental Sciences, Inc.
- Posted on: May 16, 2018
- Full Time
- Victoria, BC
- Visit Company Website
ASL Environmental Sciences, Inc., is a world-class company with more than 40 years’ experience in oceanographic, acoustic, remote sensing, and ice research services. We provide clients with scientific consulting services in flow measurement, numerical modeling, wave measurement and analysis, airborne and spaceborne optical and SAR remote sensing, sediment transport, and ice studies. Based out of Victoria, British Columbia, ASL provides products and services to national and international clients from industry, government and academic sectors.
We are seeking a full-time junior to intermediate level scientific programmer. Our company is employee-owned and operated and offers, in addition to a competitive salary, a profit-sharing plan, a comprehensive benefits package, flex time, and share-purchase opportunities for all employees.
We are looking for someone with significant hands-on experience who is able to work well as a member of a team, involving other programmers and scientists. The programmer will work in close co-operation with the IT Manager and science staff.
The programming demands of the company are somewhat complex and require experience and knowledge different from that needed for a typical small business – much of this experience will be gained on the job. We envision a continuing appointment and gradually increasing levels of responsibility for the right candidate.
- Programmer for scientific applications and data processing
- Maintenance and development of ASL’s custom web-based Project Management and Information System
- Assist IT team with system administration.
Education and Training:
- College or university degree in the field of computer science or software engineering
- Very organized and systematic nature.
Technical and Programming Skills:
- Working technical knowledge of programming languages with a demonstrated proficiency in the C/C++ programming language and experience with MATLAB
- Working knowledge of current Internet technologies, including PHP, ASP.NET, C#, -SQL AJAX and familiarity with DBMS methodologies
- Experience working with enterprise applications, including MS SQL Server and IIS
- Ability to write concise and accurate technical instructions throughout program development
- Ability to troubleshoot programming changes, errors, and subsequent modifications; must be able to do this with the work of other programmers.
Communications and Development Capabilities:
- Ability to work effectively with others and also to work independently when required
- Able to stay abreast of current and future technological developments or trends in the area of programming
- Able to interpret the operational requirements of end users, project managers, and other stakeholders
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter and highly motivated to make proactive changes
- Ability to accept and integrate constructive feedback from superiors
- Effective deadline management and project management skills
- Knowledge of service level agreements and customer service standards
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with scientific, and in particular, oceanographic, hydrographic and/or remote sensing applications, is an asset.
1. A cover letter clearly outlining why you feel you are well suited to this position and your salary expectations.
2. A current resume.
3. The names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Send your completed application by May 31, 2018 to:
Human Resources Manager
#1 – 6703 Rajpur Place
Victoria, BC V8M 1Z5
Or email to our contact below with subject line Scientific Programmer Position.
No telephone calls or drop-ins please.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, we will be notifying only successful applicants. We greatly appreciate your interest in our company and in this important position with us.