Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Junior Landscape Architect/Technologist
- Posted on: October 7, 2019
- Calgary, Alberta
- Visit Company Website
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, and with over 1,000 team members, McElhanney is a 100% employee owned and operated firm that offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services.
Our Calgary branch prides itself on being a place where inter-disciplinary teams work closely together on projects that have direct and meaningful impacts on people and communities. We align ourselves around the idea of being key players in shaping the future of how people live, move and harness energy.
We’re excited by the work we do, and we’ve earned a reputation for reliability and out-of-the-box thinking. Our fast-paced environment challenges us to continually improve and gives us the opportunity to reach our maximum potential. It’s sometimes hectic, but our teams always pull through together, and we’re now looking for the right people to help us along our journey.
Landscape architecture is a key component of the work we do – whether it’s designing new campgrounds, improving existing streetscapes or revitalizing downtown centres. To support our current Landscape architecture group, we’re looking to bring in junior landscape architects and technologists to help turn our concepts into reality. If you’re comfortable straddling the line between generating innovative concepts, and producing the graphics and drawings that breathe life into them, then we’re looking for you!
- Conduct site analysis and prepare concepts, working drawings, renderings, specifications, and cost estimates;
- Accurately assess, compile and communicate relevant technical information to landscape architects;
- Observe and provide assistance on field inspections and contract administration;
- Ensure the accuracy of technical designs and drawings and revise as directed;
- Evaluate and implement, as directed, changes to technology, programs and related practices and procedures to ensure landscape architectural capabilities are current and market competitive.
- Develop relationships with peers within and beyond the landscape architecture discipline by responding to requests and communicating information in a timely manner;
- Landscape Architectural Technology diploma or Landscape Architecture degree from an accredited program;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the field of Landscape Architecture is preferred;
- A portfolio that illustrates the diversity of work completed as a Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect and the candidate’s abilities with respect to the above responsibilities;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency with CAD drafting and design packages (AutoCad Civil3D)
- Graphics experience (combination of hand-drawn graphics and digital graphics preferred – SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.);
- Familiarity with native and ornamental plants commonly used in Alberta is an asset;