Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Machine Learning Research Officer
National Research Council of Canada
- Posted on: July 10, 2019
- Full Time
- Visit Company Website
Organizational Unit: Digital Technologies
Language Requirements: English
An eligibility list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA’S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada’s largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800 companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.
We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
At NRC, we know diversity enables excellence in research and innovation. We are committed to a diverse and representative workforce, an open and inclusive work environment, and contributing to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system.
NRC welcomes all qualified applicants and encourages candidates to self-declare as members of the following designated employment equity groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Please advise of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. They are available to all candidates for further assessment. Related information received will be addressed confidentially.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for Research Officers to support NRC’s Digital Technologies Research Centre (NRC-DT). The Research Officer would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The primary responsibility of the researcher in this position is to support the goals of NRC and the activities of the Digital Technologies Research Centre in conducting research of international calibre in machine learning and other related topics. The researcher will work in a team environment with other researchers and technical experts in world-class facilities. The researcher will be called on to participate in international evaluations or demonstrations of the team’s applied technologies.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
PhD in Computer Sciences or other relevant fields.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
Should have basic experience in the following:
- Applying statistical or machine learning techniques
- Using statistically justified experimental methods
- Creating novel models and methods targeting practical applications
- Creating a significant publication record in top conferences and journals
Please be sure to clearly indicate on your cover letter if you have any of the following asset qualifications:
- Designing and running experiments in high performance computing and/or GPU environments
Condition of Employment
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Knowledge of modern statistical and machine learning techniques, including deep learning
- Ability to apply state-of-the-art machine learning models to domain-specific data
- Ability to iteratively improve models by running systematic experiments
- Ability to write high-quality research papers.
- Ability to experimentally evaluate learning algorithms in a high performance computing environment
- Research – Creative thinking (Level 2)
- Research – Communication (Level 2)
- Research – Teamwork (Level 1)
- Research – Results orientation (Level 1)
- Research – Initiative (Level 1)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Research
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC’s directives.
This position is classified as a Research Officer (RO), a group that is unique to the NRC. The RO group uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience. The salary scale for this group is vast, from $68,567 to $149,416 per annum, which permits for employees of all levels from new graduates to world renowned experts to be fairly compensated for their contributions.
- In order to ensure a prompt and efficient processing of applications, candidates are encouraged to provide, along with their résumé, a detailed covering letter explaining how they meet each of the requirements of this position (education, experience, language requirements) by providing concrete examples. In addition, the candidate is encouraged to describe in detail when, where and how he/she gained the experience.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- These positions are being advertised internally and externally simultaneously; however, first consideration will be given to internal NRC applicants.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (5810) to:
Closing Date: Posted until filled
← Back to Job List