Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Planning Technician Job
- Posted on: May 14, 2018
- Expires on: May 31, 2018
- Full Time
- Thornhill, Ontario
- Visit Company Website
WSP is one of the world’s leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 37,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Planning Technician to join our Planning, Landscape Architecture, and Urban Design team, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Manager this position will be responsible for data management, data analysis and cartographic mapping using database and GIS tools, planning-related graphic design and layout, site design and layout, and web development assignments. The successful candidate can expect to be challenged by a variety of tasks undertaken in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment.
- Input, organize, query and maintain geo-spatial and planning-related data;
- Prepare GIS maps in support of public and private sector proposals and projects;
- Review and interpretation of planning policy and zoning information as well as support during the preparation of development applications;
- Prepare graphic deliverables to convey planning concepts;
- Site design and layout using AutoCAD;
- Design and maintain websites and web content;
- Deliver quality while effectively managing time and working as part of a dynamic team and independently; and,
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Planning degree with GIS specialization, or Urban and Regional Planning Technician diploma or comparable program;
- 1-2 years of relevant experience;
- Candidates should be eligible for membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute, and/or the Canadian Association of Certified Planning Technicians;
- Training in GIS, ARC/INFO, SQL and Microsft Excel;
- Familiarity with other Microsoft Office software;
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map and Microstation would be an asset;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, HTML5 and CSS3 would be an asset;
- Highly motivated, organized, flexible, enthusiastic team player committed to upholding our reputation for delivering high quality service; and
- Demonstrating excellent written and oral communication, and time management skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.