Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Senior Data Specialist, Research and Administration Services, Faculty of Science
University of Calgary
- Posted on: September 16, 2020
- Expires on: September 25, 2020
- Calgary, AB
- Visit Company Website
Senior Data Specialist, Research and Administration Services, Faculty of Science
The Research and Administration Services in the Faculty of Science is currently seeking a Full-time Temporary Relief Senior Data Specialist for approximately 13 months.
The Faculty of Science has been catalyzing change and inspiring discovery, creativity, and innovation for over 50 years. Our strategic direction integrates current and emerging strengths with areas targeted for future growth and investment. Our strategic priorities, goals, and values guide our mission to advance research, scholarship, and innovation, create authentic learning experiences, and inspire careers of the future. We fuel transformational change, and build a strong community through teaching, learning, research, scholarship, and collaborative partnerships. We do this work to generate curiosity-drive discovery and contribute solutions to society’s grand challenges. For more information, visit science.ucalgary.ca.
We thrive in the dynamic context of the University of Calgary, one of Canada’s most youthful and innovative universities. We are a bold and ambitious research university, grounded in innovative learning and teaching, fully engaged in Calgary’s entrepreneurial spirit.
This position reports to the Manager, Research and Awards. The Senior Data Specialist is responsible for facilitating data-driven decision making within the Faculty of Science by providing expert data collection, compilation and visualization to the faculty. This position is responsible for coordinating, compiling and disseminating data (research, student, engagement, awards etc.) that allow effective decision making in the faculty, and communication to stakeholder groups including Research Services (RS), Research Accounting (RA), Supply Chain Management (SCM), University of Calgary International (UCI), the Office of Institutional Analysis (OIA) and the Office of the Registrar.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
SSRS-SQL Service Reporting Services
- Provide support for all users in the faculty as required
- Provide training on systems to all users the faculty
- Act as primary contact for system inquiries, access and concerns
- Troubleshoot system errors.
- Provide input on key decision making about reports being transitioned to PowerBI
- Provide input on institutional reports
Data Analysis, Reporting, and Communication
- Primary resource for compiling and collating institutionally provided, faculty-level data
- Data extraction/reporting/analyses for all faculty activities (e.g. student enrollments and retention, international projects, awards, research projects, research funding, economic impact, innovation metrics, international, communications, benchmarking, etc.)
- Compile data to support nominations of faculty and staff for prestigious internal and external awards/honours
- Provide relevant, meaningful, and accurate statistical reports relevant to the target audiences
- Provide statistical data and visualization, in the form of graphs, charts, and tables as appropriate, about key indicators of operational performance towards faculty and institutional strategic plans
- Meet with key stakeholders to understand their data needs and obtain/analyze data to provide quality and timely reports for strategic decision-making. Implementation plan coordination and tracking (data intensive metrics)
- Present relevant data and project information to the Dean’s Advisory Committee, Research and Scholarship Committee, Resource Manager Team, Awards Committee and others as needed
- Work with senior management including RSO staff, department heads and committees
- Act as a resource for improved services, recommendations and practices within the Faculty of Science
- Work closely with the Dean and Vice-Dean on strategic projects including unit reviews, reporting to university, government, etc as required
- Develop high-quality presentations of faculty-level data, ensuring proper university branding is followed
- Provide leadership to staff as required and leads faculty project teams in the development, implementation, and maintenance of multiple projects and programs
- Develop and implement communication plans to ensure that all project team members are apprised of their project accountabilities and the project status
- Establish, implement, track, and evaluate project plans
- Create communication materials for strategic projects
- Identify professional development needs and skill priorities; continues own personal development, learning and training; keep current with post-secondary developments
- Adhere to all university policy and regulatory requirements, including FOIP legislation
- Participate in cross-training to assist in other areas when needed and to meet Research and Administrative Services priorities
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business administration (or equivalent) required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in statistical analysis of data, data presentation, database creation/monitoring, strategic communication documentation writing and review
- Experience with Business Intelligence applications and tools with an emphasis on reporting, data mining and advanced analytics required
- Experience with aspects of Information Management such as the collection and use of information from multiple sources in both structured and unstructured formats required
- Experience with database design as it pertains to Information Management required
- Experience with data integration in the context of the unified reporting of Enterprise owned, Business Unit owned and externally owned data required
- SQL Query writing required
- Experience working in a large, dynamic team with proven personal effectiveness and productivity is required
- Experience with SSRS-SQL Service Reporting Services, Tableau, data warehouses/marts, RDBMS, and PowerBI is preferred and would be considered a strong asset
- Demonstrated understanding of career-related issues, experiential or work-integrated learning, knowledge of industry job market and associated trends in order to target industries and clients
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills required
- Proven organizational skills, multitasking and high attention to detail required
- Ability to think critically and creatively under pressure while exercising good judgement and discretion required
- Demonstrated ability to be resourceful, creative, innovative, and flexible required
- The ability to work independently to tight timelines, maintain confidentiality and deal effectively with overlapping and changing deadlines is required
- Advanced Computer skills including MS Office Suite (including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel) required
- In-depth knowledge of academic calendar including the ability to interpret policies, procedures and regulations would be an asset
- Experience with web content management systems will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures associated with the portfolio supported is an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian labour laws is an asset
- Ability to build relationships to accomplish goals with a diverse groups within and outside of the Faculty of Science essential
Application Deadline: September 25, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Science visit Careers in the Faculty of Science.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.