Geospatial Job Seeker Resources
Supervisor, Business Intelligence & Analytics
City of Edmonton
- Posted on: June 10, 2019
- Expires on: June 20, 2019
- Full Time
- Edmonton, AB
- Visit Company Website
At the City of Edmonton, the long-term success of our business is developed by the actions of exceptional leaders who exemplify our values, namely safe, helpful, accountable, integrated and excellent. The Supervisor, Business Intelligence & Analytics works within the collective leadership accountability, and is responsible for creating the conditions for the success of the strategy, priorities and direction of the Branch. The Supervisor is accountable for creating and aligning the human, social, technical and operational systems required to carry out the work of the Branch.
The Business Intelligence & Analytics Unit is a newly created entity for Waste Services. Reporting to the General Supervisor, Business Strategy, Planning and Performance, within the Business Integration Section of the Waste Services Branch, the Supervisor will be tasked with developing the unit work structure, conducting current state analysis of data and analytics within the Branch, will build the necessary infrastructure required to support analytics, and will develop key relationships with Branch operational staff as well as corporate support staff, including the Business Performance and Customer Experience Branch and the Analytics Centre of Excellence to promote excellence in business intelligence and data analytics.
Specifically, in this role you will:
- Ensure Branch alignment with Corporate Data Management policies with regards to data management standards, guidelines and process; establish data governance and process to allow Waste Services to better manage the Branch information as a strategic asset
- Develop and lead a small team of senior analysts in the provision of key areas including business intelligence and analytics, performance management & measurement and Information and Technology/Information Management oversight for the Branch
- Conduct a current state analysis of the Branch IT infrastructure and data analytics capability. Provide a vision for a highly functional and useable end state
- Develop recommendations and a roadmap for staged improvements with the goal of meeting this vision
- Develop strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders with the goals of instilling an analytics culture in the Branch as well as streamlining the BI&A process through strong connections
- Lead systematic and ad hoc analytics, modelling and forecasting to support Branch decision making
- Implement strong database management practices within the Branch
- Ensure data collection and management processes and systems are robust and data integrity is maintained
- Facilitate the development of technology plans for the branch, including completing environmental scans for innovative technologies in the Waste Management industry; discover, validate and recommend viable new technology solutions; lead implementation of new technological solutions in the Branch
- Use Bl&A tools to develop strong data visualizations/dashboards to communicate business intelligence to all levels of management and elevate data-driven decision making in Waste Services
- Provide strategic advice to senior management, on the implementation and application of data and analytics (using leading and lagging indicator data and best practices research and analysis)
- Lead, establish and exemplify the desired culture throughout the Unit, that supports the City Operations Vision, Mission and Values, as well as the Corporate Cultural Commitments
- Monitor staff engagement and implement action plans and invest in the development of staff through the creation of succession plans
- Oversee the recruitment and selection processes and manage staff issues and disciplinary actions and processes
- Other related duties as required
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Information and Technology or a related field and at least six(6) years progressively responsible experience in an analytical role leading complex projects within a large, complex organization
- Post-secondary diploma in Business Administration, Information and Technology or a related field and at least seven(7) years progressively responsible experience in an analytical role leading complex projects within a large, complex organization
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing change, building organizational talent, and empowering resources to achieve outcomes
- Proven track record of strong performance measurement/ management, analytics and technology services planning and project delivery
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams accountable for large, politically sensitive and complex projects and processes, in a fully integrated system
- Progressive experience in a variety of technologies under the BI umbrella: data mining, business analytics, operational analytics, text analytics, dashboards and scorecards, predictive analytics, big data, process improvements, optimization and automation
- Knowledge of statistical methodologies including trend analysis, forecasting, structural equation modeling, and factor analysis
- Knowledge of data mining and optimization techniques and data visualization using tools such as MicroStrategy or Tableau
- Knowledge of Business Integration and data warehouse technologies
- Knowledge of data processing and management including experience with SQL, PL/SQL and maintenance of enterprise level data systems such as Oracle, APEX, SQL Server, Teradata, SAS or others
- Familiarity with SAP, FME, GIS application such as geomedia and ArcGIS Proficient in statistical software (e,g. SPSS, R) and data mining or optimization software (e.g., KNIME, AMPL, Matlab) Experience working with Unions, managing and resolving labour relations issues
- Experience managing and working with external consultants
- A self-starter who is able to work independently under no or minimal supervision required to carry out daily work
- Ability to analyze complex information and make timely decisions using solution based problem solving
- Proven planning and organizational skills to manage program delivery
- Demonstrated skills in facilitation of groups with competing interests and priorities
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills with experience in solving complex and sensitive issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including report writing and presenting Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop strong relationships and work in a collaborative, integrated manner
- Knowledge and experience dealing with human resource management practices including recruitment, coaching, performance development and management, and conflict resolution
- Ability and willingness to delegate and empower others
- Strong problem solving, decision-making and negotiation skills
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to direct and supervise staff and build strong teams Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask, manage time effectively, and handle tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and external groups
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (or provincial equivalent)
- Successful candidate may be required to arrange own transportation to be reimbursed in accordance with the City of Edmonton policy. This may require business auto insurance.
- Applicants may be tested .
- Masters Degree in Business Administration, Information and Technology or a related field Certification or coursework/training in Business Intelligence and Analytics; GIS and Geomatics, strategic planning; financial management; public administration; project management; performance measures and analytics; change management; or other leadership training
- Knowledge/understanding/familiarity with Balanced Scorecard/logic models, Business Intelligence and Analytics skills
At the City of Edmonton – City Operations, we strive to help our people achieve their professional and personal goals through an inclusive environment that values everyone’s contributions, appreciates diversity of thought, fosters growth and provides continuous opportunities for development.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
This posting is for 1 permanent full-time position.
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday – Friday
Salary: $52.593 – $67.032 (Hourly); $92,655.720 – $118,093.630 (Annually)