NRCan Geo Week & GIS Day Events
In honor of GeoWeek, Natural Resources Canada has provided us with a list of events they will be hosting this week. GeoWeek is the perfect opportunity to explore the geographical knowledge and resources that NRCan and the CCMEO has to offer!
- The Geographical Names Board of Canada is holding the first-ever Geographical Place Names Day. NRCan will be involved in helping to promote the launch, as well as hosting an internal event for its employees to learn about the GNBC, geographical naming, and a special talk on Indigenous place names in Canada. To raise awareness of place names, NRCan is also bringing in one of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society’s Giant Floor Maps so that its employees can see how the RCGS is encouraging teachers to create awareness of careers in geography amongst young students (K-8).
- Throughout the month of October, NRCan has been running a contest for its employees to use online mapping tools to literally put their work on the map! Policy makers have been challenged to use tools available through applications such as the Open Maps portal to help make policy decisions. On November 14th, the contest entries will be shared with the rest of the department so that examples of how geospatial data can be used for better decision-making.
- NRCan will also be hosting other federal government departments for a panel discussion on innovation in the public service. Specifically, the focus will be on how geospatial innovation empowers the delivery of policy results and emerging technologies. For example, think of the use of Artificial Intelligence in processing large stores of information.
- NRCan is participating in an event in honor of Geographic Information Systems Day that will be held at the Royal Canadian Geographic Society’s new head office in Ottawa. This event is free and open to the public on the evening of November 14th. Visit this page to register.
- In NRCan’s regional office in Sherbrooke, QC and its satellite data receiving station in Inuvik, there will be Open Houses and “Geospatial Boot Camps”. These events will be open to the local communities and give a 101 workshop on geospatial science at work.
- To raise money for the United Way, NRCan will be hosting a fundraiser during GeoWeek. Teams of NRCan employees will participate in an NRCan-version of the “Amazing Race” and visit various arms of the department to compete in team building exercises. In order to advance to the next round, the teams will have to decipher a code or solve a problem successfully.
Natural Resources Canada
Toll-Free in Canada: 1-855-525-9293